Yellowstone Valley Electric Cooperative is one of the nations 1,000 electric cooperatives. We currently have 44 dedicated employees sharing the goal, “To Make Life Better With Electricity”. YVEC has come a long way since its humble beginnings and continues to prosper for the 16,000 member-owners.
In 1937, President Franklin D. Roosevelt signed a bill allowing Rural Electrification Administration (REA) to make low interest loans available to newly formed utilities such as YVEC.
On February 23, 1937 sixteen area Montana pioneers formed the Yellowstone Valley Electric Association, known today as Yellowstone Valley Electric Cooperative, Inc. During the early 1940s, the Billings Substation was the first delivery point to come on line and serve the entire system. Over the years YVEC has continued to grow and today YVEC has a total of 19 distribution substations, two transmission substations and over 2,500 miles of line serving over 19,000 meters.