POWERING THE CO-OP COMMUNITY ONE RAY AT A TIME
Yellowstone Valley Electric Cooperative is eager to announce we are now moving forward with our community solar project. This solar project will provide YVEC members an opportunity to participate in a clean, renewable energy source without having to install or maintain the cooperatively owned solar panels.
What are the advantages of community solar?
- Because you are buying the output from one or more solar panels (not the panels themselves), you are not responsible for the panel’s maintenance.
- You pay a ONE-TIME fee upfront. You will not be responsible for additional fees (maintenance or otherwise) in the future.
- You will receive a credit to your utility bill based on the amount of energy your share in the program generates and current energy rates.
- You are locking in a percentage of your future energy rate now. If rates increase, so will your annual energy savings.
Frequently asked questions:
- Why choose solar?
People who care about the energy they consume are increasingly turning to solar energy for their electrical power. It produces no carbon dioxide emissions; its price is stable and it is abundant.
- Who can participate in the program?
If you are a member of YVEC, you can participate.
- Where will YVEC’s community solar project be located?
The solar array will be built adjacent to the Co-op headquarters in Huntley, on land owned by the cooperative.
- How much solar-generated electricity can I purchase?
Members may purchase the output of multiple solar panels. Initially, members will be limited to 10 panels to give all members an opportunity participate.
- How much credit will I receive on my bill?
Each month the energy produced by the solar array will be measured and equally divided by the total number of panels of the solar array. Each participating member’s YVEC account will be credited for the energy production associated with the number of panels in the member’s contract. Solar production will vary from month to month.
- What is the cost?
The cost to participate in the community solar project will be $630 per panel.
- What does the cost cover?
EVERYTHING! YVEC will provide all maintenance and insurance, and ensure that all applicable codes, standards and regulatory requirements are met at the time of installation and throughout the life of the solar array.
- What if I move?
If you move to another meter location within YVEC’s service territory, your solar energy credits (or panel purchase) will move with you. If you are moving out of the YVEC service area, the panel output can be transferred to another member at no additional cost.
- By participating, do I own part of the solar array?
No. Participating in the program entitles the subscriber to a share of the energy output of the array equal to their level of participation in the program. There are no rebates or tax benefits for participation.
- How long could I receive benefits from the array?
The first term of the program is 25 years.
For more information on the community solar program, or to sign up please contact the YVEC office at 348-3411.