- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 pound ground Italian Sausage
- ½ cup diced onion
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 28 ounces canned crushed tomatoes
- 32 ounces vegetable or chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons fresh chopped basil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 9 ounces fresh tortellini
- 2 cups packed fresh spinach
- Heat a large, heavy bottomed pan over medium-high heat.
- Heat vegetable oil and add diced onion. Sauté 3 to 4 minutes or until soft. (26275000)
- Add Italian Sausage, garlic to the onion pan. Cook until sausage is no longer pink. Drain any excess grease.
- Stir in crushed tomatoes, vegetable or chicken broth, basil, salt, and pepper. Bring to a boil, cover, and reduce heat to low. Simmer for about 20 minutes.
- Add tortellini and spinach and simmer for about 5 to10 minutes, or until pasta is tender.
- Garnish with shredded Parmesan cheese.
For a creamier soup, add a half cup of Greek yogurt or sour cream. You can also serve with warm bread or muffins as a side.