New Construction

When requesting service for a new home or a business, be sure you call as far in advance as possible as our membership is growing rapidly, and the request list is very active. The process for a new service begins by calling our office or completing the online application below. An appointment will be made with one of our staking engineers on site after you pay a new service fee. The staking engineer will help design a system for your power needs, stake the proposed line, and calculate a cost estimate.

After all requirements are met, the Cooperative will extend its facilities and furnish electric service under the current rate for the type of service required.

Requirements for New Construction Service

The Cooperative has established policies regarding service options such as location of service, route the line will take, and whether the line will be extended into the property via overhead or underground construction.

  • New Service/Member phone or online application
  • The cost of construction above the Cooperative’s contribution
  • Address of permanent location where service will be supplied or legal description of the property
  • The installation of all facilities from the meter to the dwelling
  • Required easements to Yellowstone Valley Electric Cooperative, Inc
  • State or City Electrical Permit
  • The type of service, i.e. residential, commercial, irrigation, etc. and size of load
  • Any covenants requiring underground service must be communicated

Electrical Permits & Forms

All new services, upgrades, and changes require an electrical permit prior to construction.

Permits for city jurisdiction may be acquired at the Billings City Building Department on the 4th floor of the Miller Building, located at 2825 3rd Avenue North.

Get Directions to the Billings City Building Department.

For state jurisdiction, permit applications are available at the Yellowstone Valley Electric Cooperative (YVEC) office or on the State of Montana website. Contact the Montana State Permit Office at 406-841-2056 for any questions about the application. If work is being done by a licensed electrician, the electrician typically applies for the electrical permit.

New Service Application